Commonly Asked Questions


Prospective Grantees
  • Does the Bureau award grants to individuals for college assistance?

    The Bureau does not award grants directly to individuals. The Bureau awards grants and cooperative agreements to nonprofit institutions to conduct educational and cultural exchange programs.

  • Does the Bureau accept unsolicited proposals?

    The Bureau does not accept unsolicited proposals. For a list of the latest bureau funding opportunities for academic, and non-profit institutions seeking exchanges and training grants, visit the Open Grant Solicitations page.

Current Grantees
  • If my organization currently has an agreement, how do we receive grant funds?

    Currently the Bureau utilizes two methods of payments - the Payment Management System (PMS), managed by the Department of Health and Human Services, and the Standard Form 270. The method of payment is generally designated under Article III, Payments and Items of Expenditure in the agreements issued prior to September 30, 2007 and Article II, Items of Expenditure in agreements issued after September 30, 2007.

    If your organization is participating in PMS, funds may be drawn down electronically through the Internet. If your organization is on the SF-270 method, a completed SF-270, Request for Advance/Reimbursement form must be submitted to the Grants Division. Please read the detailed instructions on how to complete and submit a SF-270.

  • Can my organization receive pre-award funds?

    DOS does not waive cost-related and administrative prior written approvals required by OMB Circulars A-21 and A-122. Therefore all pre-award costs are incurred at the recipient's risk. DOS is under no obligation to reimburse such costs if for any reason the recipient does not receive an award or if the award is less than anticipated and inadequate to cover such costs.

Audit Questions
  • Where should audit reports be submitted?

    Audit reports and the data collection forms should be submitted to the following address:

    Federal Audit Clearinghouse
    Bureau of the Census
    1201 E. 10th Street
    Jeffersonville, Indiana 47132

    If the Department of State is the cognizant Federal Agency for your organization, submit a copy of your A-133 audit to the Grants Division also to expedite finalization of indirect cost rates.

  • Are Bureau grantees required to have an audit?

    Recipients that expend $500,000 or more in a year are required to have a single or program-specific audit conducted for that year in accordance with the revised OMB A-133 Circular.

    Recipients that expend less than $750,000 a year are exempt for that year but records must be available for review. Further information is available in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 2: Grants and Agreements.


  • If an audit identifies questioned or unsupported costs, what is DOS' policy?

    A copy of the audit will be forwarded to the recipient for comment. The grantee will have an opportunity to provide comments along with supporting documentation for further evaluation. The Grant Officer, in collaboration with the Program Officer, will issue a Final Determination. The Grantee will be given 30 days in which to file an appeal.

  • Does DOS have audit appeal procedures?

    Yes. Please contact the Grants Division for details.

General Questions
  • Does the Bureau have CFDA numbers?

    Yes. The CFDA number applicable to each award is found in the PURPOSE of the award. If the number is not listed, contact the Grants Division.

  • Does the Bureau require cost sharing?

    Cost sharing requirements are identified in the Bureau's Request for Proposals Program Submission Instructions (PSI). The amount of cost sharing may not be waived. Generally, the Bureau encourages cost sharing. When a recipient voluntarily includes cost sharing in their proposal, the recipient is expected to contribute the proposed amount to the project.

  • What is the Bureau's policy on reallocation of funds?

    When the award amount is over $100,000, Recipient's may make cumulative reallocations/adjustments of up to 10% of the total amount of the award, however, recipients may not reallocate funds between program and administrative budgets without prior written approval of the Grants Officer. If the award amount is under $100,000, prior approval for reallocations is not required, however, reallocations must be reasonable, allowable and necessary.

  • How does a grantee receive a no cost extension of the period of the agreement?

    Requests for an extension of the period of the agreement must be submitted in writing to the Grants Officer prior to the expiration date of the agreement.

    The Department of State's Code of Regulations for Grants are available online.

Partnering with ECA

See how public-private partnerships can yield tremendous opportunities and growth for international exchanges.

Learn more

Get to Know Us

Whether you're new to working with ECA, or just want to get to know us better, come learn about our mission, history, leadership, and more.

Learn more

Grants Division
U.S. Department of State 
2200 C Street, NW, 4th Floor 
Washington, DC 20522-0582 
Tel: (202) 632-6000 
Fax: (202) 632-6475