White House Travel Bloggers Summit #StudyAbroadBecause

January 27, 2015
Evan Ryan, Assistant Secretary of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs: "With fewer than 10 percent of U.S. students taking advantage of study abroad opportunities that leaves over 90 percent of American students without this vital component as part of their education."
Penny Pritzker, Secretary of Commerce, Department of Commerce: "In this day and age more and more employers want to hire people with a true worldview."
Ryan: "How can we make it more accessible to students who might not have the opportunity?"
Robin Goldberg, Minerva Project: "We need to go out and help students understand that that experience of traveling abroad is gonna be valued."
Ben Rhodes, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications & Speech Writing: "Education abroad, their contacts abroad, their knowledge of foreign languages and cultures -- that's going to be an asset that they're gonna carry with them throughout their entire lives." 
Robert Reid, National Geographic: "I think I know the future because I think we already see it. And that's travel not to see or do, but travel to make things. 
James Howard, National iHeartRadio Brand: "So they're looking for what is uniquely authentic and life and that's one of the keys for our messaging is how can we talk to them in that way."
Don Wildman, Travel Channel: "We are all story tellers in this room. That's what we're doing: framing a story out for them. That's pretty simple to tell. You do  something in the midst of your college career, or elsewhere, that can really affect you personally but also payoff incredibly well professionally. 
Angel Cabrera, President, George Mason University: "Yes, it is expensive to study abroad. I would argue it's very expensive not to study abroad."
Pritzker: "This is why we should work together in business, government, and academia to afford more young Americans the opportunity to travel, to deepen their cultural fluency, so they can better compete and succeed in the 21st century." 
Ryan: "Study abroad is important and study abroad is for everyone."
Barack Obama, President, United States of America: "Because when we study together and we learn together, we work together, and we prosper together. That's what I believe."

View related content by tag