Over the last five years, there have been a number of new legislations focused on improving monitoring and evaluation (M&E) throughout the federal government. In 2016 Congress enacted the Foreign Aid Transparency and Accountability Act (FATAA), which focuses heavily on using and learning from monitoring data and findings from evaluation reports. The Foundations for Evidence-Based Policymaking Act of 2018 was passed to encourage federal agencies to create evidence-building plans (better known as Learning Agendas) to support evidence-based policymaking.
In ECA, the MELI Unit promotes a culture of learning within the Bureau through a number of tools, along with a customer service-oriented focus on our program teams. The emphasis we place on the utilization of data allows ECA to better:
- Monitor exchange program performance;
- Make critical programming decisions;
- Inform strategic planning efforts; and
- Improve management practices and services.
ECA is dedicated to enhancing the effectiveness of the Bureau’s educational and cultural programs. As part of this effort, and in response to the Foundations for Evidence-Based Policymaking Act of 2018 and the Department’s M&E policy (18 FAM 300), ECA’s MELI Unit developed a multi-year learning agenda. The learning agenda is a set of questions addressing critical knowledge gaps that, when answered, enable more efficient and effective ECA programming. You can find ECA’s Learning Agenda here. A webinar explaining the Learning Agenda's development and how MELI plans to incorporate research into its activities can be found here.
Learning from Evaluations
The ECA MELI Unit emphasizes learning from evaluations to ensure that we are continually improving the effectiveness and efficiency of our programming. Below are examples of programs that utilized evaluation results to modify their programs.
- Evaluation Matters: AEIF Case Study on Learning (PDF)
- Evaluation Matters: AFCP Case Study on Learning (PDF)
- Evaluation Matters: IWP Case Study on Learning (PDF)
- Evaluation Matters: Humphrey Program Case Study on Learning (PDF)
- Evaluation Matters: YALI Case Study on Learning (PDF)
- Evaluation matters: NSLI-Y Case Study on Learning (PDF)
- Evaluation Matters: Evaluation Division Assessment (PDF)
- Evaluation Matters: Sports Visitor Program (PDF)
- Evaluation Matters: AWE Case Study on Learning (PDF)
- Evaluation Matters: TechGirls (PDF)